Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Recipe Review: Corn Chowder

Slow Cooker Corn Chowder


Dump in slow cooker and give a stir!  I did high for 1.5 hours and low for 1.5 hours because I was running out of time...as usual!

1 can of creamed corn
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1 C. of frozen corn
2 C. of diced ham
2 C. cubed frozen potatoes*
1.5-2 C. of milk
1/3 C. frozen diced onion
sprinkle a good amount of dried parsley
1 tsp of chili powder
small can of diced green chiles
grind in a good amount of black pepper and a bit of salt

This was plenty for 2 adults and 4 kids, with leftovers.
Well-liked, with the exception of the kiddo that doesn't eat corn.

There is a bite to this chowder that isn't in many other corn chowder recipes.  I kind of like it!  

It was so yummy with some sprinkled bacon on top!

* So, I chose this recipe because it would have been a quick dump in the slow cooker and let it heat.  Come to find out, I was fresh out of frozen O'Brien potatoes.  Well, I just diced up some raw potatoes, cooked until they were just starting to get soft, then stuck them in the freezer to cool off a bit.  They came out perfect in the chowder.  :-)  However, that being said...I'll use frozen diced next time...due to convenience.

I'm not big on canned things but we don't have a garden anymore and I actually try to stay clear of corn.  We don't eat a whole lot of it much...though I do like it!  So, didn't have any frozen creamed corn like I use to have in the freezer...so canned it was.  The other thing I like to do is make my own cream soup.  I truly think it's better for us.  It's not hard...but it takes time and preparation.  I still keep a can or two of cream of chicken in my cupboard for the recipes that I really want to stay quick and not much fuss.  It doesn't can well, I'm told.  It doesn't freeze well, I'm told, and really...just when I leave it to store in the fridge...I'll forget about it and it will mold. :-D  So, came across a recipe for a dry mix that you keep together and then add water to make the cream soup.  I'll let you know how it goes!  :-D

Would love to see comments about how you get around the canned goods in recipes!



No comments:

Post a Comment