Friday, November 7, 2014

Recipe Review

This was on the menu....

And someone else loved it too!  :-D  
Note to self, not too many beans for baby in the future.  LOL

I will have to say that my two eldest both turned their noses up with those beans...when they saw what was for supper.  Guess what, they went back for seconds. :-D

I had never put green pepper in a chili before either, that was interesting.  For whatever reason I use to turn MY nose up at cooking with green pepper.  It didn't seem right. However, I have learned that green pepper really brings flavor to a dish!  Peppers are so so expensive now that they are out of season so this past week I picked up a package of frozen diced peppers on a 10 for 10 deal.  I'm going to try them out and see if they do just as good as a fresh pepper.  Also, I've started purchasing frozen diced onion also.  Reason, I strongly dislike cutting up onion.  My sensitive nose thanks for me for the frozen.  Don't get me wrong, I do still purchase the raw but I keep frozen for some days where I really don't want to or don't have time to chop up an onion.  It's been working for me. :-)

Here's how I did it:
Ingredients:  
1/2 lb pork sausage
1/2 lb of ground beef
3/4 C diced frozen onion
3/4 C. diced celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
28 oz can diced tomatoes w/ liquid
15 oz can kidney beans w/ liquid
15 oz can black beans, drained
1/2 T chili powder
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp of basil
3/4 tsp oregano
1/3 tsp ground black pepper

Pork sausage and ground beef ground together.   In crockpot, combine all ingredients together.  Cook, low about 8 hours.  Talk about easy!

Review:  lots of beans but very tasty!  Too juicy for real "chili" but it made warming it up nice!  Warmed up well!  One of my kids called it chili soup.  Consider eating with corn bread or on top of a baked potato!

So, to help my goal to be more prepared with my meals...I just browned together 1 lb of sausage and 1lb of ground beef and then froze half of it for another meal.  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment